Wednesday 2 November 2016

Fungus Among Us


We have a problem in our garden at the moment, the mushrooms are taking over! There are quite a few tree stumps in our back garden, and that's where most of them are, but they are also taking over the lawn too...


Around the climbing frame...

By the shed...



I attempted to try and identify some of them, but there are so many that are so similar. I reckon the one below is 'Hypholoma'...

This one I think is 'Turkey Tail', which often colonies decomposing pieces of wood (mine was on an old tree stump). Turkey Tail is apparently one of the most medically researched mushrooms in the world. A compound from this species of mushroom is used to boost the immune system in conjunction with standard cancer treatment, with promising results in the treatment of breast and lung cancer. Wow, how amazing is that, I feel rather bad about digging them up and throwing them away.

This clump of mushrooms was huge, about 18 inches across...








So I think this weekend we will be busy clearing all the mushrooms up. I feel a bit bad digging them all up, as some of them are quite beautiful, but they have taken over, and I'm a bit concerned if I leave them they will spread. 
Our neighbours have the same problem, and I wonder what is causing this fungus infestation. Does anyone else  have a mushroom outbreak? Do you leave them be, or clear them up?

Hope you had a Happy Halloween, and have a safe Bonfire night, if you celebrate it. (Just remember to check bonfires for sleeping hedgehogs, and keep pets safe)

XxXx













No comments:

Post a Comment